Closing the Year in Dentrix
Closing the year is an opportunity to purge old Appointment Book data, keep insurance benefits and deductibles up-to-date and review helpful year-end information from several Dentrix reports. The Dentrix Customer Support team offers some helpful advice and tips to make it easy.
Closing the Year
Closing the last month of the fiscal year is all that is required to close the year. This can be done using the month-end update or by running the Month End Wizard.
When you first set up your practice, you specified a fiscal year beginning month. You can find the fiscal year beginning month setting in the Office Manager:
- From the Maintenance menu, point to Practice Setup and then click Practice Resource Setup.
- Under Practice Information, click Edit.
To close the last month of the fiscal year:
- Make an up-to-the-minute backup of your practice data, and then close Dentrix on all but one of the computers in your office.
- Open the Ledger. From the Month End menu, click Month End Update to display the Close Out Month dialog box. Note: If your office regularly closes out each month, the Close Out Month date will reflect the month that has just ended (for example, 12/2013).
If you want to delete old appointments in the Appointment Book at this time to reduce the size of your practice database, you can select Appointment Purge. All appointments dated prior to the Cutoff Date will be deleted from the Appointment Book. (The default cutoff date is one year before the month you are closing.) If you do not want to purge appointments, do not select this option.
To keep insurance benefits and deductibles renewed and up-to-date as you close out the year, select the Reset Insurance Benefits option.
Handling Claims Created in One Year But Received During the Following Year
After you close the fiscal year, Dentrix detects all pending claims created during the previous year. All payments posted to claims from the previous year are automatically applied to the previous year’s benefits, unless you make an adjustment in the Total Insurance Payment dialog box.
The Dentrix Office Manager has several reports that can help you at year’s end:
- Practice Advisor Report. Assess the overall financial health of your practice with month-to-date and year-to-date statistics for collections, continuing care, new patients, production and schedule management. The Practice Advisor report shows you where you have reached or exceeded goals and where improvements need to be made.
- Analysis Summary Report. View a list of charges, payments and adjustments. You can use this report to generate totals for a specified date range or daily totals.
- Practice Analysis Report. Get statistical data for production, receivables, patients and financial contracts (payment agreements and future due payment plans). The report lists this data for the current day, month, year and past three months.
- Production Summary Report. Generate a detailed list showing the total number of times you completed each procedure in the specified date range and the average charge for each procedure.
- Adjustment Summary Report. See detailed information such as the number of times each adjustment type was used and the total amount adjusted off during the selected date range.
- Payment Summary Report. Similar to the Adjustment Summary Report, it provides a detailed summary of payments received. These may include Cash Payment, Credit Card Payment and so forth.
- Patient Summary Report. This demographic report shows the total number of current patients, plus data broken down by gender, age, insured, non-insured and so forth.
- Aging Report and Insurance Aging Report. Many offices also find it useful to print these two reports at the end of each month and year.
- Family Ledger Report. Patients often request a printout of their ledger for the previous year.
Following the recommendations in this article will help simplify the work of closing the year and save you some time to enjoy the holidays. Happy New Year!
Jason Coggins, Support SupervisorPublished: